Monday, January 19, 2009

Snow

You know sometimes I miss the snow. The winters in South Carolina are lovely, mild sometimes cold but never as cold as those below zero mornings waiting for the bus with wet hair in Shandaken, NY. I remember thinking that it was so cool when my hair would freeze (Weirdo!). I would get such delight out of cracking the iced over puddles in the driveway with my foot like popping bubbles on a sheet of bubble wrap. We lived on a hill so walking down the driveway could sometimes be dangerous if the ground was wet. You didn’t want to step on a sheet of ice hidden under freshly fallen snow! The best times though were when I would wake up to the sound of snowplows and flip the radio on to here that Ulster County schools were Closed! Yay, no school! We would spend the day sleighriding down the hill in our yard. We had a great hill for sleighriding, one year Kelly and I built a luge track. (by the way it took about 12" of snowfall to accomplish this one)

Tonight, snow is in the forecast and I feel that familiar little spark of excitement I would get when it was supposed to snow on a school night. Yes, I know, the weather man likes to disappoint when it comes to snow and if we do get snow it won’t be more than an inch but it is still exciting. Luckily, I’ve got milk and bread so I am all prepared!!

2 comments:

kellyn2girls1boy said...

Ditto.

Mother Michele said...

Well when you talk about fun in the snow I can honestly say it is fun to visit but I wouldn't want to live in it. I'm glad you like it though. Hope you get your wish.
Love you,
Aunt Shelly