Friday, September 12, 2008

Learning to read

So, I am teaching Henry how to read and I am shocked by how well he is doing. He knows almost all his letter sounds. He even quizzes me, he says "what letter says buh buh" and I'll say, "I don't know what letter makes that sound?" and he'll say "b". He also knows about 30 "sight words" and a few other words like mommy, daddy, Henry, Zoe, Abner, and Buster. I am worried a little that once he gets to Kindergarten he will already know how to read and he will be bored so I am trying to figure out what to do about that (he already knows his colors, shapes, and numbers too). He loves learning how to read (well he loves learning period). After I am done with our "session" for the day he begs me to keep going, I love that! I feel like I should stop before he gets bored with it though so that he will keep that desire to learn. My friend Lisa gave me access to a website that she paid for to help her 6 year old to read so I am looking forward to trying it with Henry this weekend. I think that Henry is going to be smarter than me soon and that scares me!!! I want him to reach his full potential and I hope that I can help him do that without pushing him too hard. I also hope that I will not expect too much from Zoe. I know that Henry is a special case and that not all my children will be as smart as him. I hope that I can help her reach her full potential without any preconceived notions of how she should be based on Henry. Who Knows? maybe she'll be SMARTER than Henry! After all she is a girl! ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
you know that you could read before you went to school !! and you were bored, so just think back to when you were in first grade and how you would have enjoyed school more if they taught you ________ (fill in the blank). As Zoe gets a little bit older she will learn whatever Henry is learning, (Kelly learned whatever you were working on) When I realized how bored you were with school I slowed down with her pre- school learning and worked on bible verses, phone number, address, etc.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the advice!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.