Monday, September 22, 2008

Meatloaf

I made meatloaf Sunday night and it was delicious. I am usually not a fan of meatloaf but for some reason I had a hankerin' for meatloaf Sunday and this recipe was fast and it was very moist and flavorful. I thought I would share it with my readers because I definitely recommend it!

All American Mini Meatloaves

17 Saltines crushed fine
¼ cup whole milk
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 large egg
1 ½ tablespoons Dijon Mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 ½ lbs meatloaf mix*
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Glaze
½ cup Ketchup
¼ cup light brown sugar
4 teaspoons cider vinegar

*Walmart did not have meatloaf mix so I bought a pound of 90% lean ground beef and 1 ½ lbs ground pork and mixed them together and took out what looked like ¾ lb. And put it in the freezer for next time.

1. Heat oven to 500 degrees and put oven rack in the middle position.

2. Mix saltines, milk, parsley, wors. Sauce, egg, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder and meat together. I used my hands to make sure it got incorporated well. Shape the meat into 4 oval loaves.

3. Heat the oil in a nonstick 12 inch skillet and brown the meatloaves on one side for about 5 minutes then carefully flip them over to brown the other side. Neaten up the edges with a spatula. In the meantime, while the meat is browning mix the glaze.

4. If your skillet is oven safe, top the meatloaves with glaze and place in the oven until the center of the loaves reach 160 degrees, this takes about 15 minutes. My skillet was not oven safe so I rubbed the bottom of a casserole dish with vegetable oil and placed the meatloaves in there before glazing them. Bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy!

If you try it let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you don't like meatloaf ! you only like the mashed potatoes that go with it.
Congratulations on making somehting new.

kellyn2girls1boy said...

sounds good! I usually make the stove top meatloaf, you would probably like that too. Maybe I will try this kind next time.